Wednesday 20 March 2013

Core Neutrality



     For the first half of our term here at LDA we had weekly physical theatre workshops inspired by the technique of Jacques Lecoq. We found layers of tension states in our bodies, inhabited the four elements and concluded with mask work. Working in neutral mask in particular proved to be extremely revealing and even personally enlightening. Before even seeing the masks our tutor Ally led us through a rigorous warm-up that forced us to take broad movements and internalize them. This made us all vibrate with physical and mental presence throughout our journey into a masked world. Upon Ally's presentation of the masks she split us off into small groups and gave us a set of seemingly simple instructions. She asked us to individually stand up, turn away from the group and put the mask on. After we were masked we were to lie down on the floor, "wake up," exist in a neutral yet present state in the space and then simply lie back down.
   
     I went first in my group and saw the room totally differently through the mask's eyes. Since we were striving for a state of neutrality I found myself keenly aware of every movement in my body. Through my sense of vulnerability in the mask I was also more aware of the sights, sounds and even smells in the room. We were advised to free ourselves of opinions about the process of waking up and the space we were in, stripping everything down to its most essential and basic state. After adjusting to the heightened state the mask gave me I was overwhelmed by a sense of calm that came from existing simply in neutrality.
   
     My group gave me feedback and noted that though they could see some of my typical "Shea" mannerisms I seemed to be in a more open and neutral state. It was fascinating watching my colleagues do the exercise after me, because I had a similar experience watching them. Our first few turns with the masks freed us of many physical habits, though our most engrained mannerisms still appeared at certain points. Ally reminded us that mannerisms aren't necessarily negative though, we just need to be aware of them so we can use them when they serve us and emit them when they aren't doing us any favors.
   
     After working in neutral mask I found that I am much more aware of how I use my body as an individual. Each time I put the mask on I found that I was able to ease deeper into total neutrality and access a profoundly human foundation. It proved to be a intensely resonant experience as an actor and person to travel inside to find a core neutrality.

-Shea



No comments:

Post a Comment