Monday 4 March 2013

Musings of a Fatty in London

     For those of you that know me well, you know how important good and delicious food is in my life.  To say that I just love eating would be an understatement, so when I heard multiple comments about the food in London not being so great, I was understandably worried. Would I have to eat fish and chips every day? Is the Indian food in London really that great? Could a traditional English breakfast outshine the likes of American breakfasts that I've grown accustomed to? What am I gonna do without regular trips to Burrito Box and Lucky's Burgers? These were some of the questions floating through my mind during the plane ride over here.
 
     I think I've mentioned in previous posts that were staying in the Richmond University dorms here in Kensington, which is no more than a 3 minute walk to LDA. Our location is almost as convenient as living in McMahon in terms of getting to classes. At Richmond, they offer us a meal plan to go along with the cafeteria with either 10 meals a week or 18. My biggest concern with the cafeteria was that it was run by none other than Sodexo (Everyone at Fordham knows why that font change was necessary). It was one of the hardest decisions to make because I didn't want to get stuck with Fordham Sodexo food for another semester especially since I flew 3000 miles away from the Ram Caf in the first place. But with prices in London being so high, I didn't really have much of a choice. Luckily, the people at Richmond offered us a free week of meals to try things out before we purchased a full meal plan.
     For the most part, I can't say that I regret the decision to purchase the smaller meal plan because the variety and quality of the food at this Sodexo establishment soars above what we were used to at Fordham. Here's a couple of the meals that we've had here:



     
     We also have access to a free espresso/coffee machine, unlimited tea, and a salad bar with a huge variety.

    And if you're looking for cheap eats outside of the caf there's a traditional Chinese food restaurant a couple blocks away, numerous places to get Fish and Chips, McDonalds, KFC, and Burger King too. You can also venture out into more central London to find a decent burrito at Chipotle if you're desperate. And yeah, Indian food here really is that great.
So if any of you do end up coming here and need to know places to eat for cheap, you know who you can ask.
-Danny




1 comment: