Sunday 17 February 2013

Learning How to Speak...Advancing the Way We Act


     Studying at the London Dramatic Academy has been absolutely sensational and has taught me so much about my acting and myself. I’ve learned so much already and I am eager to learn more. The focus on voice and dialect has been one of my favorite parts of the program. Our voice teacher Simon Money, has a great way of giving each student personal attention. I know specifically what I need the most work on, and I’m also given ways to work on these things outside of the classroom. And the best part is it is so much fun! Each of us comes into the space happy to be there and we’re excited to see ourselves and our peers improve. I have seen so many improvements in my voice already. My breath capacity is SO much better, and it has only been a month. Being able to communicate clearly is an essential part of making great theater, and the London Dramatic Academy recognizes that.

     It has been really interesting studying the RP dialect. I don’t know what it is, but Americans love British accents (myself included). And what better place is there to study British accents than London? Simon pays close attention to our dialects seeing as we are all very different parts of the United States. He then teaches us the specific differences in pronunciation from our American dialect to a proper British dialect. I would be lying if I said it was easy. The way the British hold the their mouths is different than in America. I’ve learned that an American accent is an east west accent, meaning it requires much more of a horizontal stretch of the mouth. The RP accent, however, is a north south accent making it more vertical. Because of this, we as Americans have to learn exactly where to place the sound in our mouths in order to achieve a believable British accent. It’s really hard work, but Simon is a phenomenal teacher. I have no doubt that we’ll get it it just takes time.

-Winter

No comments:

Post a Comment